Here is my current update: After talking to my doctor, he thinks that that size of the polyp is too small for it to change anything. But I wanted to get some more opinions so my dad called his friend who is an OB at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale - he didn't even think twice about continuing. I still wanted one more opinion because I am crazy like that so I called my OB, Dr. Terry and I talked to his nurse, Cyndee, and she was the same way - didn't think the polyp would make one bit of difference, especially considering its size.
So me and Alan prayed about it, talked about it, slept on it - and we decided to continue with the process. I feel at peace with this decision no matter what the outcome is. Although I'm sure if IVF doesn't work I'll be kicking myself! But for now I feel good about it. Of course I am still uneasy and worried about the outcome, a part of me thinks that we should wait and cancel the cycle. But thinking about doing that gives me a worse feeling so I know that moving forward is the right thing for us at this point. I am just asking for loooots of prayers and faith in our behalf that things will go well.
So on to another update - I had another checkup today and the polyp actually looked the same or even a little smaller than yesterday which is good. I have about 26 follicles right now. 8 of those are good and ready. 18 of them, however, are in the medium size range. Also my estrogen levels are really high, which is good but also bad when it comes to over-stimulating. Which brings up another issue that we needed to make a decision on today. Either do the trigger shot tonight with egg retrieval on Thursday - with that there are less chances of over stimulating (which can be very dangerous) but I might not get as many eggs as I would if I waited another day to trigger. Obviously it only takes 1 egg to get pregnant, but with IVF the more eggs the merrier because then you have more options to choose from and also you have some, or more eggs to freeze for future use.
The next option is to wait until tomorrow to trigger with retrieval on Friday. The pro to that is the possibly of more mature eggs. But the downfall is that the longer I wait the more at risk I am for hyper stimulation (OHSS) from having too many eggs and also even higher levels of estrogen which, like I said, is very dangerous and not fun (think surgery to remove access fluid, being sick, in pain, etc). Also I would have to use a different "trigger" medicine tomorrow (for reasons that are too complicated to write on here) and studies show that people who use that med to trigger have lower pregnancy rates.
Soo because there are so many more risks with waiting we decided that we will move forward with triggering tonight at 2 AM (so specific on the timing of things!) with egg retrieval on Thursday.
Obviously the process has not gone as planned - I would have loved a perfect cycle with lots of mature eggs and no polyp in my uterus, but the fact is that the hardest things in life aren't easy which I am slowing having to learn the hard way! We are just going to move forward with lots of faith and pray for the best. We are trusting in the doctors that we have talked to and hope that things will work out how they are meant to, no matter the outcome. I just need to pray my guys out and stop worrying about things that are out of my control! Thanks for all of your love and support, you have no idea how much it means to me!

8 comments:
So many positive thoughts and prayers your way, Sarah!
Hey.. I know I already left a comment and we don't know each other personally.. but want you to know I also had a polyp on my 3rd and 4th ivfs. My 4th one we got our son. It can happen.. I know its so hard to get your hopes up.. its so vulnerable and raw.. but I always held onto to people's stories of success as tight as I could.. and left the rest to heavenly father. But its so tough! So many happy and positive prayers coming your way.
Ashley owens
Sarah, I'm so sorry you aren't having a smooth go at this. If it makes you feel any better, I had all of this happen to me. I had polyps around the entire lining of my uterus. They were going to do surgery to remove them. Our family fasted and prayed, and at the pre surgery appointment, they were gone! So no surgery. I over stimulated with every IVF cycle I did. Every time, the doctor told me my ovaries were kissing ovaries because they were like giant water balloons. This even happened when I got pregnant with Trey. I just had to be on bedrest for longer and do absolutely nothing. You can do this! You will be OK! I'm praying for you!
hang in there! that's about all you can do...and pray, pray, pray...i'll do it too!
I'm happy that you guys are going to do it! Thinking about you all day today. Hoping you would feel peaceful about whatever you decided. I know you're not doing this for "admirers" but I admire you! You are so strong. Love you!
I had polyps when I was pregnant w/ both Marta and Pete that caused bleeding throughout the pregnancies. In those days they didn't have tests to tell us why I was bleeding so I thought I was miscarrying. Later the doctor could see that the pressure of my uterus caused the polyps to tear a little and bleed, but they didn't interfere with the baby at all. I'm praying for you, too.
I love you Sar! Thinking and praying for you!
Xoxo
Dan
I love you Sar! Thinking and praying for you!
Xoxo
Dan
Post a Comment