Sunday, January 20, 2013

Aunt Marie

On December 6th my great Aunt Marie (my grandpa's sister) passed away after battling pneumonia for a few weeks.  We saw her on Thanksgiving and a few days later she got really sick and was in the hospital.  Marie divorced young and never had children so she treated all of us like her grandkids.  We visited her often, especially the last 4 years while she is living in a care facility.  She was such a talented person, especially when it came to singing.  She had a beautiful voice and sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for many many years.  

A few days before she passed away I had such a neat experience with her.  Me and Alan went to visit her on Sunday, December 2nd for a little goodbye since we didn't know how much longer she would be with us.  That whole day she had been in and out and sleeping a lot so I wasn't expecting to even be able to talk to her very much but she tried to whisper and open her eyes as much as she could while I talked to her and held her hand.  She would whisper that she loves me and my family and how great everyone was to her, etc.  And then as I was getting close to leaving and saying goodbye to her she lifted up her hand to my face and told me that my babies in heaven will be here soon - I, of course, started crying uncontrollably and told her that I loved her and hugged her goodbye and she went back to sleep.  It was such a spiritual and neat experience and I am so grateful that I had that time with her.  

Each day since then the nurses said it was her last but she kept holding out.  On Thursday, the 6th I got off work a little early and she was still alive so I decided to go visit her again.  I went there and was able to sit and chat with Marie's sister, Jeanne and her daughter and and son-in-law, Patty and Neil. It was fun getting to know them since they live in Canada and didn't really know them before.  While I was there Marie's breathing started to get very slow and sporadic .  As I was getting ready to leave I was standing by Marie's side while Patty was counting Marie's breaths.  Marie took a breath and Patty started counting but Marie never took another breath.  I wasn't expecting to be there when Marie took her last breath but it was a neat experience and something that I will never forget.  It was so peaceful and we knew that Marie was singing with the choirs up in Heaven!

A few days before her funeral we all went over to Polly's to practice some songs that we were going to sing at her funeral. 

Aunt Jeanne is the cutest thing ever, I can't wait to go up to Canada sometime to visit!






Her viewing was Sunday night - it was fun to see family and meet extended family from Canada and Vegas






Aunt Jeanne and Uncle Mel, my great aunt and uncle, with my dad's cousins

Her funeral was so special - the talks given were so good and such great tributes to Marie and I loved all the songs we, "Marie's Choir" sang - they brought back so many Bagley memories, and the Low boys definitely got Marie's talent, their musical number was amazing. 

It was a snowy, but beautiful day 



Bagley girls minus Brooke



Meg, Katie, me and Kerry trying to stay warm

My dad with his cousin, George, who was so amazing at the bagpipes

The ward that Marie was a part of 4 years ago before she moved to the care center was so nice to make us a big lunch after the funeral.

Jack wearing Marie's sunglasses! 

I miss Aunt Marie so much, I loved growing closer to her in my adult years. As much as I miss her, she had an amazing life and I know she is out of her misery and in a much better place.

ps - I didn't take many of my own pictures so thanks to Jo, Polly and May for letting me steal some of theirs! :)

4 comments:

mama jo said...

that was a sweet time...

Polly said...

loved all the pictures and your thoughts. i promise i'll send you pictures of Christmas!

Marty & Meghan Rich said...

Loved this...Made me teary miss u sar

whit said...

i'm crying right now! such a sweet post.