i don't know where you live, but out where i live the snow is CRAZY today...i haven't seen it snow this much in years. luckily our car is great in the snow and we were able to make it to our 8:45am meeting at church to get new callings since our ward split.
anyways the point of this story is that at our meeting this morning they decided to cancel church today because of the wild snow storm out here. our satellite signal is lost so i cant watch tv live, which means im resorting to the recorded shows and my blog for entertainment. while going through all the oprahs ive recorded over the last few months i came across a pretty interesting one, especially for all you moms out there.
priscilla dunston is a lady with a photographic memory to sound. she claims that babies are speaking to us through the sound of their cries. im sure you moms know what shes talking about...once you learn the sounds of your child's cry, you can kind of figure out what they want. but she has tested her theories on thousands of babies from all over the world and in every case each cry meant the same thing. she also tested babies on the show and it worked!
what she says is that all babies, no matter what race, nationality, etc. have the same cries that mean the same thing. the key is to listen to the pre-cry sound, not the hysterical cry. she says that all newborn babies communicate by using 5 universal sounds. the sounds are similar, but as a mother and after listening to them a few times you are able to distinguish the sounds.
here is what you need to listen for and what they mean:
"neh"-hunger (listen for the "n")
"owh"-tired
"heh"-discomfort (listen for the "h")
"eair"-gas
"eh"=burp (listen for the "e")
{these sounds only apply to babies from 0-3 months because then the language changes and the baby begins to communicate in different ways.}
go here to learn more. all you moms and soon-to-be moms out there will have to let me know if this works!
7 comments:
This is really interesting. Now I need a newer baby in the family to observe. Any offers?
I heard about this after Oprah's show and Tyden was still less than 3 months, but I tried to make out the sounds and never could quite differentiate them. I gave up too early I guess.
By the way, I saw Wicked in NY and loved it! You are in for a treat! Are Alan & Tyler friends this week :) They are too funny.
Ry and I bought the Dunston Baby Language videos before Mitch was born, and we thought we were on to something great. Well, once we had Mitch we forgot all about it. I'll have to watch the video again and see if it works. I'll let ya know!
Oh duh, I just read that it only works on babies up to three months. I'm a few months to late... maybe next time around!
So informative!! Oh things we end up watching when we can't get out of the house... ha ha!! Still need to plan a dinner with Travis and Tera if you are up for it?
I saw that on Oprah awhile back and dang it...I forgot to use those tips! I needed this helpful reminder oh.. 7 months ago! LOL!
So I see that you've met my bro. out in Daybreak. Small world. Yeah Lindsey has had that Oprah recorded on our Tivo for like 3 months now. Just waiting for the baby arrive so that we can understand his mystery language.
Post a Comment